Wednesday, November 11, 2009

HOG obsession and a new Mystery Case Files game!

I have two bits of news to discuss today.

A New MCF Game

First, fans of the Mystery Case Files series should take a trip over to MysteryCaseFiles.com and watch the trailer for the new MCF game: Dire Grove. It looks like they actually got live actors this time around. For me, this has great draw because it taps into my mind's nostalgia sector. I first became a computer gamer in the 90s. Myst was the game that hooked me. After that, I was regularly at the media store browsing adventure games. This was the golden age of point-and-click adventure gaming, where FMV integration was the new standard, as seen in games like Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within, Zork: Nemesis, and my personal favorite, the Tex Murphy series. It was a sad day when the adventure game industry started going downhill and FMV was abandoned in favor of computer-graphics characters.

This, combined with the fact that the previous MCF entry, Return to Ravenhearst (see my review here) turned out to be one of the most fun casual games I've ever played, makes me very interested in this new MCF title. I'll try the demo for Dire Grove, but if it's as twisted as Return to Ravenhearst, I'm going to have to pass.

HOG Obsession

You might remember my recent thoughts regarding the use of young ladies as a marketing strategy for hidden object games. Well, there's a more general trend going on right now. Maybe you've noticed it. HOGs are being released by the truckload.

Nov. 1
Nov. 2
Nov. 3
Nov. 4
Nov. 5
Nov. 6
Nov. 8
Nov. 9
Nov. 10
Nov. 11


Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Have the developers received a message that gamers have such a great love for finding hidden objects? While I've enjoyed a hefty share of HOGs, the mechanic is not fun enough to constitute game after game. This, of course, is a taste issue. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are people who download and love every HOG just because the mechanic never seems to get old for them. Just as with board games, certain game mechanics click with certain types of minds.

Are you obsessed with HOGs? Post a comment and let the rest of us know what it is about HOGs that keeps you going!

No comments:

Post a Comment